Calabacitas Olmecas are Olmeca-style Zucchini squash stuffed with Shrimp. The Olmecas were a native people of Tlaxcala over 1,000 years ago, and were a close relative of the Mayans. Among the first tribes to inhabit Tlaxcala, they built a large and important city at Cacaxtla, near present day Tlaxcala. This is Mexican Food in Tucson at its most original and authentic best.
This flavorful shrimp dish will make a great impression on any occasion.
- 1 cup of cooked yellow corn 12 small or 6 large zucchini squash (depending on what is available where you shop)
- 4 Tomatoes (baked or slow cooked in a frying pan to soften)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 large onion, 1/2 finely diced
- 1 lb small shrimp
- 2 Chiles Serranos or Jalapenos
- 1 cup of Queso Fresco
- 4 Chiles Poblanos (cooked, cleaned, and cut into strips)
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil, Butter or Margarine
- Blanche the zucchini for several minutes in hot water, just below a boil, or Microwave for 2-3 minutes, to partially cook and soften.
- Without breaking their outer shell, slice the top 1/4 lengthwise off the zucchini, and carefully scoop out the inside with a teaspoon, leaving enough thickness in the outer walls and shell to retain structure. Place in a baking dish.
- Using a blender or food processor, prepare the salsa by pureeing the garlic, 1/2 non-diced onion, cilantro, chiles serrano and cooked tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil or butter and add the diced onion and shrimp, and allow to cook 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the salsa to the shrimp, and cook another 5 minutes on medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the zucchini squash with the shrimp and salsa mixture, sprinkle the top generously with queso fresco, then lay the strips of Chile Poblano on top of the cheese.
- Place in oven at 400 degrees 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has turned a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and decorate each piece by sprinkling yellow corn kernels on top.
- Serve 2 small, or 1 large stuffed zucchini per guest, accompanied by with white beans and rice or the sides of your choice.